1. Why should an institution consider joining HECSE ?
- membership in the premier organization representing leadership preparation in special education
- sharing of current special education information
- networking with IHE’s engaged in doctoral level preparation and research
2. What are some specific benefits of HECSE membership
- provide access to up-to-date information on legislation
- provide current information on policy and policy development
- assist with access to decision makers
- provide technical assistance regarding communications with special education decision makers at all levels
- provide opportunities for professional development
- provide opportunities to analyze, clarify and provide input on legislative and regulatory language and issues
- join with colleagues in expressing positions on legislation and policy
- current information of funding opportunities
- assist with faculty searches
3. How can an institution apply for membership in HECSE ?
- contact any of the HECSE Board for assistance
- formal written membership application is required and will be provided quickly by the membership chair
- membership application is reviewed by the board
4. What is the current annual membership fee?
- $ 1,100 per year, due July of each year
5. What is the membership fee used for?
- operating expenses
- meeting costs
- HECSE Consultant
6. When and where is the Annual Meetings held?
- Washington, DC
- Thursday, planned individual visits with legislators
- Friday, recently full day meeting on the Capitol Hill
- Saturday meeting at Hotel till early afternoon
- Members are responsible for all travel costs
7. Who typically attends the annual meeting?
- institutional representative or alternate
- invited guests / presenters
8. What is a typical meeting agenda?
- Update on legislative issues
- Presentations and Q & A with Congressional staffers
- Presentations by OSEP personnel with Q & A
- HECSE Leadership Award presentation
- Business meeting
- Presentation of issues by Consultant and/or HECSE Board with Q & A plus discussion
- Sharing of personnel needs by institution
- Planning for future with assigned tasks/ responsibilities
9. Are there other meetings during the year?
- TED Conference in November
- CEC Convention in March/April
- OSEP Projector’s Directors Meeting in July
10. What about summer retreats?
- occasional opportunities as need arises
- focus on topics of special interest
- white paper development